Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke Review:

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

I was on a camping trip for the fourth of July and decided to just grab a handful of books off of my TBR pile and bring them with me, this book is one of two books that I read out of all the books I brought with me.

I knew before going into this book that it's a gothic horror novel with a Stephen King feel to it.

Note: I hate horror and  have a hard time dealing with it.

This book follows a girl named Violet who lives in small-town, nothing-interesting-ever-happens Echo. Violet's parents disappeared one day to go to Europe and never came back, leaving her and her brother to watch over their mansion of a house all alone. As money begins to get tight and bills aren't getting paid, Violet decides to rent out their guest house to pull in some cash. Little does Violet know that she has set the tables turning and horror crashing into her boring old town, Echo. River West, the boy who rents out the guest house is not at all what he seems and he brings a torrent of evil along with him, making people question whether or not the Devil is actually real.

This story didn't scare the shit out of me like I thought it would, but it sure was dark and creepy. The characters were well told and enjoyable. But, the thing I loved the most about this story is that it's really mysterious and it surprises you with every flip of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment