Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak Review:

Book: I Am The Messenger
Author: Markus Zusak
Description: By the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Book Thief, this is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail. That's when Ed becomes the Messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission? 

Click To Buy: Barnes & NobleAmazonBook DepositoryBooks-A-Million

My Thoughts:

*Note: First Let Me Tell You That I Listened To The Audiobook Version Of This Book*

The narrator? You may ask. How was he? Did he portray Ed Kennedy spot on? Was he just as brilliant a narrator as the narrator of The Book Thief? My answer to all those questions are.. The narrator, Marc Aden Gray (I'm just going to call him Mr. Gray) was phenomenal! He brought a sense of feeling and passion, a sense of character and livelihood, a sense of real life, and that in it of itself made me (the reader) bond with the characters of this book and altogether the story. Mr. Gray deserves a million bucks for his performance with this book.

Now onto the story, the idea, and the message.

Let me flat out establish that I am not, and I repeat AM NOT someone who reads books within this genre. Distinctly, I hate this genre. But, there's something about the way Mr. Zusak writes and the way he grips his readers that I simply can not hate nor dislike and not even like his stories but love them with the same fervor as a child during story time. 

If you've already read The Book Thief, then you already know that Mr. Zusak's writing is completely and utterly unique and delivers underlying messages around every page. Most would even say that Mr. Zusak is an artist with words and a poet who does not stop once the page does. 

Just like The Book Thief, this book is beautifully written and powerfully ended. In complete honesty, I will recommend this book to you, yes you reading my review of this book right now, I challenge you, no dare you to read this book and tell me what you thought of it. Was it just as good as I'm describing it now? Was it a master piece worth every second of your time? I bet it was.

I feel like all you need to know going into this book is that there is a man, some cards, a message, and a question. 

There's not much else I can say that I haven't already. I can say that every single character in this book was perfectly written. I can say that I didn't want this book to end. I can say that every single message Ed Kennedy gave was beautiful and heart-capturing. I can say a lot of things, but it's best that I stop and let you read this book for yourself and know the greatness that is I Am The Messenger.

2 comments:

  1. Good review! After Reading The Book Thief a few months ago I HAVE TO pick up this book. I hope it is just as good as you say :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I read the book Thief and thought, I love the way Mr. Zusak writes and had to get this book. I prefer the audiobook versions of his books. All his narrators for his audiobooks are superb!

      Delete